The Chancel Windows

The chancel, or sanctuary, windows reflect the Seminary functions that took place in the Chapel. The chancel is disproportionately large to allow for ordination ceremonies. Similarly, when the opportunity arose to embellish the chancel with stained glass, saints related to seminary training were chosen.


Most appropriately we find the four evangelists, Saints Matthew, Mark, Luke and John; as well as St. Paul. The study of Sacred Scripture forms the foundation of seminary education and formation. Two of the Fathers of the Latin Church, St. Jerome and St. Augustine, represent the intellectual tradition of the early Church. St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Alphonsus Liguori represent the theologians of the Medieval and post-Tridentine periods. St. Charles Borromeo is known for his reform of the diocesan seminary of Milan. St. Francis deSales also was active in seminary reform. St. Vincent dePaul founded a religious order dedicated to general education and to seminary education.


Unfortunately, we have little direct information on the origin of these windows. They are very similar in style and quality to the nave windows. Mayer of Munich has no record of them, but we may surmise that they are Mayer windows, or possibly windows crafted by the Zettler of Munich firm, an affiliate of Mayer. A careful examination reveals that the lettering on these windows is practically identical to the lettering on the nave windows, another indication that they have the same origin.


It is possible that these windows were installed at the same time as the nave windows. However, there is a record in the 1921 minutes of the Seton Hall Board of Trustees of receipt of $300 each from Fathers Egan and Smith, and $900 from Father Meehan for chapel windows. The window of St. Paul and St. Charles Borromeo bears a scroll with the legend "This set of six windows was donated by Reverend Joseph H. Meehan. Perhaps the chancel windows were installed at this time. It also is possible that they were installed earlier, but dedicated as memorials in 1921. The donation of the Pentecost window in the nave by Father Smith adds to the mystery, but the donation may have been for a window already in place.