SETON HALL UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
Meeting of April 8, 2005
1. In Attendance: Mary Balkun, Deborah Browne, Nancy Enright, Anne Mullen-Hohl, Anthony Haynor, Nathaniel Knight, Cecilia Marzabadi, Roseanne Mirabella, Nicholas Snow, David Beneteau, Charles Carter, David Black, Carolyn Bentivegna, Eleanor Xu, Leigh Stelzer, Athar Murtuza, Robert Shapiro, William Stoever, John Collins, Robert Massey, Xueming Bao, Natalia Milszyn, Margaret Greene, Joyce Wright, Jane Dellert, Jerome Bracken, Omer Gokcekus, Janet Koehnke
2. The meeting was called to order at 1:45 p.m.
3. Communications from Provost Lindsay:
a. Thanked the Faculty Senate for its support.
b. The University budget was approved by the Board of Trustees.
c. Faculty development money was doubled to $500k; Core Curriculum money was doubled to $200k
d. Additional awards: a bounty of $2500 on any book published with a bona fide publisher; $7500 for a book published with a top tier university press (not including edited books). There were questions about the top-tier journals. Provost Lindsay stated that the reward will be for publishing in a mainstream journal in a discipline and that he expects these awards to happen rarely, but that he also expects that the award will raise faculty expectations and encourage them to send articles to these journals.
4. The agenda was accepted unanimously.
5. Approval of the draft minutes of the March 11, 2005 meeting. The minutes were accepted unanimously.
6. Report of the Executive Committee. The report was accepted unanimously.
7. Reports of standing committees and special committees
a. Calendar - The report was accepted unanimously.
b. Academic Policy and Core Curriculum - The report was accepted unanimously.
c. Compensation and Welfare - No report
d. Faculty Grievance - The report was accepted unanimously.
e. Faculty Guide and Bylaws - No report
f. Instructional Technology - The report was received unanimously.
g. Library - The committee has not met.
h. Nominations, Elections, and Appointments - The report was received unanimously.
i. Program Review - The report was received unanimously.
j. Admissions - No report
k. Special Committee on Faculty Development - No report
8. Old Business
a. Transfer Credit motion. Click here.
Motion: to remand the matter to the APCCC. The motion was approved unanimously.
9. New Business
a. APCCC motion on virtual courses. Click here for the motion.
Motion: To remand the matter to the APCCC, the IT Committee, and the EPCs of the colleges. The motion was approved unanimously.
b. Motion of the APCCC: That the B.A. in Environmental Studies be approved. Click here for program description. The motion was approved unanimously.
c. Motion of the Nominations and Elections Committee: to approve the slate of volunteers for the Intellectual Property Rights Committee. The motion was approved unanimously.
d. Motion of the body: To invite Dennis Garbini, Vice President for Finance and Technology, to attend the next Senate meeting to explain the new policy on contracts regarding invited speakers and performers. The motion was approved unanimously.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 4:00.