SETON HALL UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
Meeting of May 7, 2004
Beck Rooms A, B, and C
1. In attendance: Peter Ahr, Simone James Alexander, Mary Balkun, Deborah Brown, Anne Mullen-Hohl, Lauren Schiller, Judith Stark, Anthony Haynor, Nathaniel Knight, Roseanne Mirabella, Charles Carter, Marian Glenn, Cecilia Marzabadi, Leigh Stelzer, Athar Murtuza, Robert Shapiro, William Stoever, Jason Yin, Mary Ruzicka, Robert Massey, Anthony Lee, Anita Talar, Xue-Ming Bao, Peggy Greene, Janet Koehnke, Beth Torcivia
2. The meeting was called to order at 1:40 p.m.
3. Msgr. Sheeran, University President, welcomed the new senators.
4. Communications from the provost
5. Approval of agenda - minutes approved
6. Approval of the draft minutes of the April 2, 2004 meeting
7. Election of Senate officers for 2004-2005
Chair: Roseanne Mirabella
Vice chair: Judith Stark
Executive Secretary: Mary Balkun
Members-at-large: Janet Koehnke and Robert Shapiro
8. Constitution of Senate committees for 2004-2005.
The membership of each committee was approved unanimously.
According to the Faculty Guide, 3.7 d, in the case of dismissal:
A standing committee of the Senate is therefore needed to fulfill this function. Leigh Stelzer, chair of the Nominations and Elections committee, was asked to determine who wants to be on the committee and report the results at the June meeting.
8. Report of the Executive Committee - No report.
9. Reports of standing committees and special committees
a. Calendar - The report was approved unanimously
b. Academic Policy and Core Curriculum - the committee is working on some issues: revised language about
cross-listed and parallel programs), new PhD in Nursing, the sunsetting of approved but unimplemented
programs. The report was approved unanimously.
c. Compensation and Welfare - The report was approved unanimously.
d. Faculty Grievance - No report.
e. Faculty Guide and Bylaws - The report was approved unanimously.
f. Instructional Technology - The report was approved unanimously.
g. Library - Committee members met in April with the IT Committee, Library staff, and Paul Fisher of TLTC re:
copyright issues with goal of getting faculty involved (4 committees) to look at these issues. The report was
h. Nominations, Elections and Appointments - No report.
i. Program Review - The report was approved unanimously.
j. Admissions - No report.
k. Special committee on Faculty Development - No report.
9. Old Business
a. Grievance Committee By-laws. Click here.
Motion that this motion be remanded to the committee now that it has new members. The motion was approved unanimously.
b. IT Committee Technology Value Statement. Click here.
Click here for amended version of the statement.
c. Program Review Committee recommendations.
Motion to receive the report. The motion was approved unanimously.
Motion: That the Program Review Committee derive a set of action items to be submitted to the Senate
at the June meeting for discussion and Senate approval. The motion was approved unanimously.
10. New Business
a. The Faculty Guide Committee is submitting the following three motions to the Senate for approval:
11. Adjournment at 4:25.